Saturday, April 23, 2011

Eggs, eggs, who's got the eggs?

As early as I could remember, there was a tradition on Good Friday to achieve the most vibrant colors on our hard boil eggs.  Letting the eggs sit in the dye for as long as the excitement will allow.
My most memorable occasion was one Easter season spent with my neighbor.  She was from the Ukraine and her eggs put my blinding colors to shame.  To this day I can not remember her method, but those eggs were a work of art.  The eggs were not cooked, but a small pin was placed on the bottom of the egg and ever so gently, piercing the egg without breaking.  Then the yoke was sucked out until it ran dry.

Now fifty years later, the tradition continues with my daughter and son-in-law.  We have a contest for the best Easter eggs.  My son-in-law won again this year.  His prize was a Pez candy dispenser.
He won on originality.  My daughters eggs were beautiful also.  The colors she achieved were breathtaking!
They almost looked like the plastic Easter eggs used in the hunts that is how bright and gorgeous the colors were.

There was one tramatizing moment in my history of egg dying.  One I will never forget took place when I was five years old and I was attending kindergarten.  I was so excited to dye eggs.  I even brought in two extra eggs for who may have forget there own eggs.  That morning  our room was buzzing from excitement waiting to dye eggs.
My demented teacher claimed that I was taking, so I was put in the corner and wore a dunce cap.
Needless to say I did not dye eggs that day.  My second slap on the face arrived when my three eggs, my one and two extra, were given to the teachers daughters who were visitors to our class that particular day.
It was marked as one of my worse days.

Some people would say I was a fortunate little girl and my little incident was trivial.  Put on your big girl panties and go on your way. 
As an adult, I must agree they are right.  If this incident marks a dark Easter, then consider myself blessed.

Psst...I must make a confession.  My daughters eggs were better then her husbands, but I cheat and allow my son-in-law to win every year, well almost every year.

"Happy Easter and Happy Spring"  Enjoy the beautiful pallet of colors that splash across the earth.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a nice read! I used to dye eggs with onion skns. That is a real inteeting experience and fun too! You tie saved onion skins onto the eggs with string then boil hm and the onion skins dye the eggs all these lovely soft purple and reddish colors. Fascinating! Warm Wishes and Love abounding, Tasha.

    ReplyDelete