Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Twinies

Many full moons ago our fore fathers..  Only kidding.  No seriously, when I was a child our cousins Barbara and Theresa, the twinies,  would visit once a week, or my family would go visit there family.
They were family on my fathers side, in fact, Matty Boy's (my dad) sisters family.

In the sixties, this was common practice.  Family unit still existed unlike present times.  I am an Italian descendant and in Italian families, visiting your relatives once or twice a week was common practice.
Grandma would stir sauce over the stove for hours.  Her meatballs would fall apart. 
I could still taste and smell the intoxicating aroma.  When you woke up on a Sunday morning, the whole neighborhood would reek of gravy (tomato sauce) and roast beef.  As I am writing, I can so easily go back in time and still smell that fabulous fragrance.

This week I was propelled back in time and I am desperately trying to stay there or at least lets meet half way.  The twinies and I got together Tuesday for an all day visit. 
Twice a year we try to make a special get together.  When we come together, all time stands still.
We are transported back in time and are little girls again, but this time with boobies and hormonal disorders.
Oh well, I guess you can't have it all.  Anyway getting back on track, we do not skip a beat.  Forty years ago now belongs to the present and we continue where we left off.

We can talk and do talk for hours on end.  Sometimes we get sentimental and cry, but the crying only brings us smiles.  They are good memories.  They make such a brat out of me when we go out.  Barbara and Theresa spoil me rotten!!  I am so grateful for the many gifts they give me.  Gifts are not only physical, but  are also from the heart and soul and those are the best souvenirs a human being can give!

I stand here today and everyday, a grateful person.  Life at times does not give us cotton candy and ponies,
so embrace the good moments and hold as firmly as you can.  Tuck it away for tomorrow, for when the dark arrives, the light will soon come peeking around the corner.   If we allow yesterday's celebrations to shine forth, life can be just a bit more pleasant.
What I am trying to say is bring the good forward and leave the bad behind.  If we practice this, life will seem a bit easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment