Saturday, August 13, 2011

Why I Write Poetry

I can not answer for other poets, but I can tell you why I write poetry.
My gift started late in life. One day I was watching a commercial and the word IT was shown in different ways. All of a sudden, out of know where, words, or should I say a poem was going off in my head. I ran to get a piece of paper and wrote as fast as the words came. The next day for two weeks, poems were literally exploding in my head.
I could not keep up with it. In fact I asked that they stop for a while. I was getting a headache! Who I was talking to did not matter. I felt like I was going insane!

At this point in time I wrote 50 poems in two weeks. I have never read nor wrote poetry in my life. Was not the least bit interested at the time.
I was confused at why this was happening, but as time went by, I understood the why.
Poetry is a gift given to me to not only share with the world, but to dislodge old, crusty, stuck poison within.
My poetry is based on life's experience, dreams, and visions. Each time a poem is written, I reflect on its subject with a deep understanding that goes into my core.
The problem may still exist, but now I have an understanding, and because of the understanding, I can now deal with it and get rid of my old luggage.

I now have a love that goes deep for poetry. There is a gratitude for this great gift. Yes, I would love to become an author of poetry, but right now I am enjoying life with a great understanding far beyond most. I also wish not to forget the lovely people I have met through poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment