Friday, February 11, 2011

Those Were the Days

There was a day when Sunday was special
Nobody worked but always the exception
Digging through the paper for the funny pages
When found colored print, you struck gold
Will simple nature ever show its portrait again

Walking to church with dad
Wishing I had the luxury again
Soda shop
I thought what I was getting
Can still taste and smell syrup

Waking up Sunday like no other day
Aromas of roast beef and tomato sauce
Why did it smell different that day of the week
Brightness of life, hope and joy hung in the air
Please come visit me again
I miss you

Ed Sullivan was on that night
Grandpa glued to the TV as I at his side
Rolling Stones
“What kind of crap is this; guys with long hair gyrating around”
Driving round the block at sixteen
There was not a parking space around
Thought I was cool

Watching old TV shows pretending I am there
Missing smells I took for granted
Grandpa was a pain in my ass
I’d give anything now to feel the pain
I Dream of Jeannie blink me back




No comments:

Post a Comment